Wednesday, October 26, 2011

How long does it take a reasonably fit person to climb Uluru (Ayers Rock as was)?


How long does it take a reasonably fit person to climb Uluru (Ayers Rock as was)?
The answer to your question is one hour. When I went I didn't climb it but the view from the base is all you need. I saw it at sunrise and it isn't the view of everything else you want to see.it is Uluru. I then also saw The Olgas at sunset which was perhaps even more beautiful.

However, it is not advised to climb it. It is comparable to people climbing up the walls of a Church. This is the note from the Aboriginal people of the area:

"The existing Uluru climb is the traditional route taken by ancestral men on their arrival at Uluru. Because this path is of great spiritual significance, Anangu (the traditional Aboriginal owners of Uluru) rarely climb Uluru.

"Although Anangu have given permission for visitors to climb Uluru, Anangu prefer if you choose to respect the cultural significance of Uluru and do not climb.

"As well, the traditional owners have a duty to safeguard visitors. Anangu feel great sadness when a person dies or is hurt on their land."

For more information see the Wikipedia page - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uluru#Climbing_Uluru
How long does it take a reasonably fit person to climb Uluru (Ayers Rock as was)?
it is now closed
you can no longer climb the rock now it has been returned to the abos
it is now closed
you can no longer climb the rock now it has been returned to the abos
Benji is right - you can't climb Uluru anymore
It took me 2 hours-just because I took it easy, and I'd say the view from the top was amazing- but definately visit the visitors centre before deciding whether to climb. You can still climb it, but the Aboriginals request that you don't. After I'd taken the climb, I wish I would I had respected the Aboriginal requests not to climb, and just walked around it- its huge!!
A couple of hours, but the walk around it is much more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment